The minimalist’s wardrobe guide to the Nordstrom anniversary sale 2020
The average traveler doesn’t really need a milion things. What we really need is a great wardrobe of staples that can take us all over the world in a backpack. (And could be packed in half an hour!) With that in mind, as I see all of the Nordstrom Sale posts going up everywhere – I was thinking that I just wanted to put out a list of what everyday people will really wear and what the best deals are.
Here are the pieces that I think every traveler would find handy! And hopefully they won’t run out before the sale even starts for us regular folks on the 18th!
This post is for men and women! See the Table of Contents for The Sections that apply to your needs!
How Do I Pick Pieces For A Minimalist Wardrobe
The first and foremost way that I chose pieces for my capsule closet is quality. I wouldn’t recommend a product I thought wasn’t going to last! Sustainability has become such an important topic of conversation for all travelers and buying quality is an important facet of that discussion! There are so many people out there asking you to buy products that are the dreaded ‘fast fashion’. These cheap products won’t last you from season to season. This just ends up causing you more stress!
You should be able to love one of the pieces so much that in 5 years when you want to go backpacking with some friends – you just have to grab your ‘trusty-walk-around-boots’ and you’re ready.
Any piece I recommend for anyone’s closet will look good for a solid 5-10 years. There’s not one thing on this list you couldn’t combine to keep you comfortable, well dressed, and neat in the years to come. I also usually pick neutrals for any investment pieces. Typically patterns are not able to blend from season to season so neutral colors and classic textures are key.
The items on this list are investment pieces. I really hate recommending anything that’s just going to fall a part, as I said in the ‘Quality’ Section. If your goal is to travel – you need pieces that are going to hold up. Typically anything that lasts will cost you more upfront.
Perfect example: my water shoes. They weren’t necessarily expensive ($20 from Amazon) but they were more than a $5 pair from a giant box retailer. They’ve lasted me all summer and last summer, and if I don’t wash them in hot water, or leave them soaking wet to dry rot- I think they’ll last me at least another few years.
Not only do I not have to worry about replacing them when I need them. Now I’ll have saved money bu buying right the first time.
minimalist Picks for Women
Smart pics for women are going to include footwear, jeans, heavy sweaters, outerwear and underwear. (I’ve also thrown in a few no-fuss dainty jewelry pieces that will look great for simple touches while traveling!)
- The Lace-Up Moto Boot – The best shoe purchase of the season! These are so-so fun!
- Paul Green Dynamic Boot – Great classic boot to wear with just about anything and any color all winter long. These are the most expensive on the list but would be a great investment! Just make sure you’re wearing them!
- BÃ¸rn Faywood Bootie – BÃ¸rn’s whole goal is just comfortable shoes. They call this one the walkable heel and I think that’s a pretty perfect description since they’re already distressed.
- Kaylah Pointed Toe Bootie – A great color that I do not yet have and need!
- Marc Fisher LTD ‘Cloud Suede’ – Marc Fisher just makes great shoes. They’re comfortable and good quality.
- Vince Camuto Gradina Block Heel – The black just looks so good. I actually have a pair of these from 4 seasons ago that I still wear and love!
Tops and jackets
This is the best time to grab a few jackets and sweaters because good quality of either are expensive! The get a sweater that wont unravel in .2 seconds and isn’t see through requires doing some searching! Jackets are also a great find during the Nordstrom Sale because they can be expensive too! Here are a few of my favorites!
- Vince Cable Mock Neck Merino Wool Sweater – Would look awesome over leather leggings!
- Ribbed Open Front Sweater – I personally have one like this in grey and I loveeee it. Goes great over everything!
- White Button Front Sweater – Love this one for date nights! Looks great tucked into jeans with a lace cami underneath!
- Blue V-Neck Chunky Sweater – This blue isn’t my usual neutral but its SO pretty on just about everyone. Looks great with the lace edged cami on this list!
- White Laced Edged Cami + Black Lace Edged Cami – These literally make any blazer, leather jacket, mom jeans, etc look good and polished. They’re officially a staple in my closet. Although not technicaly part of the sale – since they’re on sale right now and look good with everything -they’re a great snag!
- Taupe Green Longline RainCoat – necessary. I have one like this in black and I wear it constantly.
- Purple Longline North Face Coat – I consider both olive green and this mauve-y color to be acceptable additions to my closet because even though they aren’t true ‘neutrals’ – they still look good on everyone!
- Tan Trench – Everyone needs a great trench!
- Quilted Coat – This jacket is going to be great!! Purchasing as soon as the sale opens up to non-card holder members!
- Cropped Leather Jacket by Halogen
- Distressed Leather Jacket from Free People
- Cropped and Slightly Textured Leather Jacket from Blank NYC- I love this one and I’ll be wearing it alll fall! (If we ever get to go anywhere again!) – Best Budget-Friendly Option! I bought this one and it’s incredibly comfortable!
I totally believe in the power of the leather jacket to transform any outfit. They make dresses, joggers and just about everything look better! I’m a size 8/10 and I always wear a large!
Including a whole section on blazers because they really are the best all the time jackets. Blazers make any and all outfits look more put together and fun the same way a leather jacket does. (Even in the summer!)
- 1. State Crepe Blazer – Love this one for the rolled sleeves vibe!
- TopShop Crepe Blazer – Just ordered this one! It’s not technically part of the Nordstrom sale but it is 50% off making it super budget-friendly at $44!!
- Duet Pinstripe Blazer – Again not part of the Nordstrom sale but 50% off and would be so fun in the summers!
- Ruched Sleeve Plaid Blazer – Love plaid blazers of all kinds. I think they look good in all seasons!
- Distressed Cropped Skinny Jeans – Great budget-friendly jeans!
- Spanx Leather Leggings – Leather leggings are pretty much a staple as well as regular leggings, jeans, and joggers. To see an entire post on specifically leather leggings – see here.
- Zella 7/8 Leggings – Literally some of my favorite leggings! The 7/8 length is great for the summer and still long enough for tall girls!
- Zella Black Joggers – The laziest version of looking put together as an adult: joggers. They’re basically day time pajamas.
- KUT from the Kloth Medium Wash Jeans – Just an all-around good pair that won’t chafe and rub a hole in the thighs quite as fast!
Lets be real for a second: You need good undergarments that aren’t going to drive you insane or allow you to chafe. Think wider bra straps and Spanx shorts. They SAVED me when walking 10 miles a day in Italy.
- Spanx Nude Thigh Shaper – Not ashamed to say that I’m a solid size 10/12 and my thighs rub. Buy the thigh savers before your next trip! they make walking around so much easier after the first few miles!
- Unlined/No Wire Bralette from Bra-llelujah – Great for run-around days!
- True & Co V-Neck Bralette – Looks Supremely Comfortable
- True & Co Black Racerback Bralette and Tan Version– This brand in general just looks incredibly comfortable!
Dainty Jewelry, Beauty + Accessories
Over-sized jewelry is pretty much out and I’m hoping it goes away for a long time. It’s exhausting to even think about now!!! When we travel, I put a few items in my travel jewelry box and I’m good to go! The same goes for my accessories. I like them to be as minimal as possible so that I’m not worrying about them during our adventures!
- Fresh Soy Face Cleanser – I have this one linked over on my current skincare post! Love this as a great gentle cleanser combined with a make-up remover! Anything that does double duty is a win for me! (Travel Size Included)
- Gold/Faux Diamond Ear Crawlers – I love anything dainty with a little sparkle!
- Adina’s Gold Choker – Again with the sparkle! Dainty necklaces like this make the best accessories because they can be dressed up or down!
Practical picks for men
If you’re looking for great picks for your husband – these are quality options that will last! Men’s clothes in general just don’t wear out as fast so any of these items will be great gifts to last your hubs throughout all of his travels!
Tops + Jackets
- Patagonia 3/4 Zip – These are the epitome of comfortable. I own one, Ev owns one and they’re just awesome all-around active jackets.
- Patagonia Vest – Great hiking vest and thinking of getting this one for Evan!
- Classic T-Shirts ( V-Neck and Crewneck ) – A few of these and you’ll feel prepared to layer and take on just about anything in your travels!
- All Saint’s Collared Shirt – Throwing this over nice shorts at the beach and you have yourself a perfect dinner outfit!
- Nike Joggers – The adult day time pajamas you absolutely need
- Casual Jeans – The perfect medium wash.
- Cole Haan Lace Up Boots – Ev has a pair like these and they always look good with jeans and button-downs for nicer dinners. Probably one of my favorite looks on him.
- White Leather Accent Sneakers – The semi-stylish tennis shoe that you can grab for your man to wear with sneakers and sweatshirts.. without looking like a frat boy.
- Slip-On Loafers – Necessary for all things travel. They will take you far and are the best easy on and off in airports.