How to Add Music to Instagram Reels & Fix Glitches
Something that we’ve been noticing across the board these days is that social media is glitching. As content creators, is there anything more frustrating than something out of your control not working?! That includes trying to fix the ‘no music available’ glitch on Instagram reels. We’re going to share how to add music to Instagram reels and a few glitch fixes.
Why Can’t I Add Music To Instagram Reels?
As small business owners, we plan out content creation schedules and do our best to find a style that represents our personal brands. This often includes adding thematic music! Beyond problems adding Instagram reels music for business accounts, how to add music to Instagram Reels seems to be a problem across the board.
If our quick tips to fix your account don’t work – don’t stress!! There are loopholes for adding audio when you get the dreaded ‘No Music Available’ screen in the Reels creation section of the app.
**We always suggest putting in a ticket to Instagram through their help button just in case they can resolve the issue quickly.**
Let’s talk about a few different reasons why you don’t have access to music for Instagram Reels.
- Business Accounts have been limited in using recorded artists’ popular music so as not to infringe on copywrite issues.
- Instagram is glitching. We have a creator account and these tricks and tips have worked time and time again when we’ve lost access to various aspects of Instagram.
- Instagram music is not available in your region. Instagram has a habit of rolling out updates to different parts of the world at different times. For instance – Instagram rolled out the update to decide what kind of feed you want (chronological or favorites) and we still don’t have the option three weeks after roll out.
Quick Fix #1: Adjust Account Type
Before you go about trying to figure out what’s wrong with your account – it may be as simple as switching to a different kind of account. There are three different types of Instagram accounts: creator, business, and personal.
First things first – look at what type of account you have.
- Business accounts are restricted from using popular music to share their own services and goods. Something that we’ve found is that switching from a creator account from a business account can restore your acccess to Instgram Reel’s music.
- Another solution is simply changing your ‘category’. If you don’t want to switch your account type, click the ‘Edit Profile’ button on your accounts main page and change the category from there.
How To Switch From A Business Account To A Creator Account
If you haven’t been able to get music for your Instagram Reels and you’re stuck with the dreaded ‘No Music Available Screen’ – do yourself a favor and try switching accounts first.
- If you want to try switching from a business account to a creators account: Go to Settings > Account > Switch Account Type > Switch to a Creators Account.
By switching between a Business Account and a Creator’s Account, – you’ll be still able to access all of your metrics!
If you still don’t have access to music for Instagram Reels – try following the same steps but switching to a personal account. The danger of switching to a personal account is that you will lose access to metrics, and even if you switch back to a creator or business account – your metrics will start over.
ALREADY HAVE A CREATOR ACCOUNT? If you just lost access to adding music – you may not have done anything wrong. It’s just a glitch and maybe one day you’ll get it back? Look on the bright side – you didn’t lose access to your entire Instagram account! Some things to try if you already have a creat:
- Delete the app entirely and try redownloading it to make sure the app is up to date.
- Try logging into Instagram from someone elses phone and see if you can access music from there.
If either of those options works then voila!
When Switching Account Types Doesn’t Work
So here’s the next issue – sometimes the switch from a business to a creator account doesn’t fix the problem. Again, losing access to music on Instagram isn’t an easy fix and not all quick fixes will work for every account. (Which we know is SUPER annoying!)
There are three other ways to add audio to Instagram Reels:
- Saving popular songs you come across.
- Using your own original audio that you’re recording inside the REELS app. (Don’t underestimate the power of your voice! Use this time of the glitch to explain, inspire or talk about a destination!)
- Extracting audio that you’ve screen recorded and add it to a video from the InShot App. We love it and use it almost everytime we make a Reel!!
Follow our instructions below to save other accounts trending audio!!
#1 BEST OPTION TO GET TRENDING AUDIO: If you have a creator account and can save other people’s audio, you can still add popular songs.
- Head to your explore page and start looking around at popular reels.
- Save any audio that you like. (Make a note in your phone about what each audio is for so you don’t have to listen to each clip you’ve saved trying to find something you like. This guide on how to add music to Instagram reels won’t help if you don’t know what you want to add!)
- When you’re ready to create a Reel, open the REEL creators page.
- Click on Audio.
- Click on the Saved tab. Any music you’ve liked will be saved!! From there you can create a REEL using any of your saved audio.
This strategy will limit how many songs you can use but we’ve found it to be a quick fix while trying to get our account back on track.
How To Add Music TO IG Reels Using The InShot App
To extract and add audio, we use the InShot App. Download InShot here.
If you can’t save other audio files and use them because your account is completely locked, there are a few more strategies. The best workaround we’ve found is to use an app to extract audio from a screen recording and add it as audio.
Follow these instructions for how to add music to IG reels using the InShot App:
- Record any audio using the screen record feature on your phone.
- Upload your clips and photos to inshot and put them in the order you want to visually create your REEL. (You can add effects, slow the video down etc from here.)
- Click the ‘add music’ button.
- Next click the ‘tracks’ button.
- Click ‘Extract From Video’. All of the screen recordings and videos will be automatically shown from your phone!
- Chose the one you want, adjust the audio to sit where you need it on your video.
- Download and post to IG!
The best part about this strategy is that when you add your video and post it, usually you’ll be added to the page for the trending audio that you’re trying to use automatically. That means you’re more discoverable when people like particular audio or trending songs!!
Share This Guide With Your Fellow Content Creators!
Have any more questions on how to add music to IG Reels? Drop us a question below!
Looking for more blogging-related guides? We have guides on a bunch of different subjects when it comes to being a content creator. Beyond helpful Instagram guides like this ‘how to add music to Instagram reels’ and monthly playlists to keep you current on trending music. We also have guides on how to increase your Google rankings with effective post outlines, 10 Skills you need to master successful blogging and so much more.
P.S. Before you post those reels, remember to add a scroll-stopping Reel cover! If you need a little help with the design, get our guide to the best Canva fonts!
Make sure to sign up for your free blogging goals planner, and get all of our raw & honest thoughts about blogging!
While you’re here, check out our fellow bloggers’ favorite post: The Best Songs For Instagram Reels. There are over 300 songs available for creating content that aligns with your brand. P.S. If you’re just starting out as a content creator, find all of our content creation basics below!
Until next time friends,