GoPro Travel Photography: Gear 101
When considering our travels, a lot of the things we enjoy most are adventures that require our gear to be minimally invasive. GoPro as a brand has done an amazing job creating a foolproof, quick and easy setup. (Not to mention pretty much indestructible for the average traveler.)
We asked ourselves if it was worth it to get a GoPro for traveling? The answer is: YES!! Our biggest reason after some serious usage: Lack of interference.
Another big factor to consider: The GoPro and our favorite accessories are all relatively light. Since we decided backpacking is the way to go from now on, including the GoPro, it is a no-brainer! (All of the pictures above are from our GoPro on our Aruba trip!
How To Chose What GoPro Model You Need
First things first – remember that not all GoPro’s are waterproof. GoPro Hero 5 is the first generation of fully waterproof GoPro cameras. All of the previous generations aren’t waterproof without the required housing. We have the GoPro Hero6 and it’s worked perfectly for all of our intense activity photography needs.
From hiking and epic wide-angle shots to videography, while snorkeling etc., the GoPro has its advantages for non-invasively capturing your adventures. For us, the most important aspect to consider with any travel photography or videography is quality, pixelation, etc. Crystal clear videography is achievable for GoPro travel, and we’ll cover the ‘how’ in the next GoPro article (lenses, filters, etc). Check back soon!
The only reason we would consider upgrading to the GoPro Hero 8 or newer is for the live streaming capabilities that come with the newer generations (linked here and below). Live streaming with the GoPro is particularly useful if you have a YouTube channel or Facebook for your blog!
Best GoPro Accessories For Traveling
All linked in ‘Shop’ Section
Overall, don’t go online and buy a ‘kit’ for your GoPro travel accessories. When hiking or going on trips: the biggest thing to consider is the weight to what you’re bringing. I usually carry the camera and Ev usually carries the GoPro and accessories. You won’t use half of it and honestly, you don’t get the truly useful pieces. If we had to put together a kit, here would be our must-haves from items we own and use frequently!
- The Floating Grip Handle – The GoPro’s sink- so if you plan on taking it diving – you need to attach it to something that floats.
- Protective Housing Case– Although the GoPros themselves are waterproof, they aren’t completely damage proof- they can still be scratched, etc. We prefer to keep our gear in good condition so this is a must and it takes up no space!
- Dual Purpose Tripod – This tripod does double duty because you can attach it just about anywhere! The bendable arms wrap around tree limbs and adjust to become a tripod on just about any uneven surface!
- Selfie Stick – The best part about this selfie stick is the built-in remote mount. While trying to take the epic selfies you want to take with just you or with a group- you want to have the reach and the ability to use the remote!
GoPro Accessories For Travel Bloggers
All linked in ‘Shop’ Section
- GoPro Remote – In all reality having a remote for your GoPro is just a lot easier than having to set the timer. It’s not complicated to go without- but for ease of use when traveling it’s a no-brainer. (The selfie stick listed above has a built-in mount for this remote!)
- GoPro Brand Dual Charger – I highly recommend sticking with the GoPro Brand for your charger. In our experience- choosing off-brand charging equipment, etc just isn’t worth it when it comes to your electronics- especially when it matters!
If you found this post helpful – hover over one of the images below and save it to your favorite Pinterest boards!
Make sure to subscribe to our blog, snag all of your road trip basics (below), get your travel insurance, and have fun jamming to a new playlist!
Until next time friends,
10 Ways to Be Productive While You Watch TV: The Travel More Series
[…] The GoPro and its accessories are a great example of why you need to organize your gear. While it’s an amazing way to capture your trips- one thing we realized is that we needed to protect the screen with an extra cover. While you can buy these on Amazon super easy? If you don’t periodically check your gear, you may not notice a scratch on the protective cover that can impact your photos! Click for a list of our favorite GoPro gear and accessories to find lens covers. […]