Book of The Month Club: The Best Book Subscription Box
Looking through the best book subscription boxes? If you’re like me (Hello, I’m @Southern.Lady.Reads!), you want the best books being published that month. What I love about my Book Of The Month Club subscription is that it’s incredibly easy to pick your book(s) without gimmicks. No strangely scented candles or odious tchotchkes taking up space on your shelves that you’ll eventually have to toss. Your BOTM picks come in one recyclable cardboard box containing a recyclable bookmark and your hardback books. That’s it.
How Does A Book of The Month Club Subscription Work?
Started in 1926, Book of The Month is one of the oldest reader subscription services with a consistent track record of quality new releases! I’ve enjoyed almost every book I’ve chosen from their monthly options and even found some to add to my TBR.
A Book of The Month Club subscription is usually available for $15.99/a month, and depending on what specials are running when you sign up, sometimes it’s even less for your first few months. Your subscription box automatically includes the option to pick hardback editions of recently released books or audiobooks.
- Annual Book of The Month Club Subscription: When purchasing a whole-year subscription, consider that you’re getting your books for $13.99/book. (That saves you $2 per book!)
- Monthly Book of The Month Club Subscription: With a monthly book club subscription, readers can select their monthly pick for $15.99/book.
- Audiobook Monthly Book of The Month Club Subscription – $13.9/Book Credit – This book club subscription is perfect for anyone who doesn’t have time to read a physical book every month – but maybe has a decent commute and wants to listen to a book? The average 300-page book narration is roughly 8 hours of listening – meaning your daily commute will become something to look forward to!
With each monthly box, members can also choose to add lower-priced add-ons if there are more books they want! Because more books in your book delivery are always better, right?! These hardback copy add-ons can be added to each box for $10.99 a month – cheaper than you can find at Amazon or other major booksellers!
**Members are limited to two add-ons a month except during their birthday month and when picking a free Book of The Year Finalist.
The best part about ordering books? — When you get more books for free. When you share your referral link, you get a free book! So without further ado – here is my shameless referral link for Book of The Month Club – because I really do believe it’s the BEST book subscription box out there!
**This is not a sponsored post. However, the link for signing up for a Book of The Month Club Subscription does earn me a free book if you choose to sign up. Thanks in advance if you do! I’m passionate about books, so be sure to tag me @Southern.Lady.Reads with whatever book you pick!
Can You Skip Months With Book of The Month Club?
I think this is the best part of my Book of The Month Club Subscription. Not only am I getting to pick books I want, but if I’m not really interested, there are many options for still getting a box of books in the mail.
- Option #1: Skip the month as a whole and wait for the next month to use my credit.
- Option #2: Pick a different book from the ‘Readers Most Loved Section‘ OR a ‘Book of The Year Finalist!’ By doing this, I still get a monthly pick and the adding on a couple more books.
Award-winning titles like Tomorrow, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, Daisy Jones and The Six, and The Vanishing Half are all current options to replace your monthly pick!
What Kind of Books Can You Choose From?
Another great aspect of the Book Of the Month Club is the kinds of books you can choose from. Debut authors, repeat authors, early releases, and just plain good reads that have been recently released. Every month 5-7 books are chosen like the above, and you get to pick your favorite!
Have more than one book you want? You can also track the books you want to snag later with your convenient TBR tracker in your account/app! Easily accessible from the app or online – add any books from your TBR to your monthly box’s two add-on spaces.
Accessing early releases is easily my favorite part of my Book of The Month subscription. BOTM early releases are always hard copies & usually cheaper than you can get anywhere else. Yes..even cheaper than on Amazon.
Recent Book of The Month Club early releases include Sally Hepworth’s mega-popular thriller The Soulmate, Things We Do in The Dark (a 5-star rated on Amazon thriller), The Inheritance of Orquídea Divina, and The Hunting Wives.
The perks are another great part of a Book of The Club box subscription. Yes – you’re paying for a book every month – BUT right away, members can access a few perks: hardback copies of popular romances and an easy-to-use app.
- The BOTM App: I use my BOTM app to track my TBR, rate my BOTM picks, and easily pick my monthly Book of The Month and add-ons.
- Hardback Copies of Popular Romances – Love titles like The Love Hypothesis or Helen Hoang’s best-selling books like The Heart Principle? These have been some of my favorite BOTM add-ons, and I love grabbing hardback copies to add to my library.
- Pick Add-Ons From BOTM’s Library: Worried you’ve missed out on some great reads? You can access the entire BOTM catalog going back decades in the app or online and add any still available titles as add-ons to your boxes! (Not to mention that these hardback editions are still cheaper at $10/add-on compared to higher-priced paperback copies most of the time)
For members who have become BFFs by ordering a book box every month for 12 months, here are a few fun perks:
- FREE BOOK OF THE MONTH TOTE BAG – Perfect for library runs, packing your bookish things on a road trip, or using it as a Bookstagram prop! (Personally, I knew I wouldn’t use this tote, and I didn’t want to add to any clutter in my home, so I skipped this option!)
- BIRTHDAY MONTH FREE BOOK ADD-ON – Once you’ve spent 12 months’ worth of book credits and become a BOTM BFF – you’ll get to add on a free book during your birthday month!
- BOOK OF THE YEAR FINALIST FREE ADD-ON – At the end of the year, BOTM BFFs can also add a free Book of The Year Finalist! This means for any of those award-winning titles you’ve missed throughout the year; you’ll get a chance to start the year with a book many readers have loved.
Give A Book Of The Month Club Subscription Gift
Another fun idea for Book of The Month Club subscriptions is that if you already have a subscription and love it, someone can gift you months of free books. This saves relatives, spouses and friends the hassle of picking books you may not love. (As any reader knows, it’s best to get to choose your own reads!)
You can also gift a Book of The Month subscription to someone looking to explore reading more? The best part of gifting a BOTM subscription box is that you also get to be a little selfish – because with every gift you give, you get a free book!
The Best Book Subscription Boxes
If you love Book of The Month, but you’re still not getting enough books – here are a few others I recommend for a decent monthly book subscription without all the nonsense:
- My Thrill Club – With this monthly book subscription, readers can choose two books and an e-book for the price of one traditional book buy!
- The Chaptr – Monthly Book Box & Book Club – If you don’t have access to a book club near you, this monthly book subscription box is a great option to connect with other readers.
- Used Books Monthly – Choose from 1-4 Books monthly starting at $5.49!
- Owlcrate – Classic young adult boxes but also allows choosing a ‘junior’ box for readers from 8-12.
- Cratejoy – One of the best book subscription boxes to give as a gift!
- Illumicrate – One of the most popular book boxes for fantasy lovers! Normally I don’t recommend book subscription boxes that have a lot of ‘extra’ things in the box other than the book – BUT Illumicrate offers multiple different types of subscriptions, and one of those includes only the book.
More For The Avid Reader
Every month when I’m decided what I want to knock off my TBR, more and more are of course published. Depending on what you like to read, you may want to add a few more of my recent reads to your TBR too! Here are a few posts you might find helpful:
- June 2023 Book Releases
- The Romance Novel Lover’s Masterlist
- Women In #STEM (Science, Technology, Education & Math) Novels
- 110 Spicy Books Like A Court of Thorns & Roses (Best for readers who are 18+ years old) or The Best Young Adult & New Adult Fantasy Reads (Perfect for the 18 or younger crowd!)
If you found this post helpful – save it for later! You can pin one of these pins or scroll below for other sharing options.
Hope you found your next great read! Save this post on Pinterest for later, and follow me on Instagram @Southern.Lady.Reads for more reading recs and book reviews!!!