110 Thrilling Books Like ‘A Court of Thorns And Roses’
After finishing the ACOTAR series and wondering when Elaine would get her book, I (Shelbs) have concluded that I needed more and more of this type of series. They’re the binge-reads I didn’t know I needed. Thankfully finding books similar to the ACOTAR series wasn’t hard in part due to Amazon’s handy referral feature, and a little digging. So what do we want in the books like A Court of Thorns and Roses? We want epic world-building, strong female characters, delicious romances and so much more.
Don’t miss out on the Throne of Glass and Cresent City series by Sarah J. Maas, either!
- THRONE OF GLASS SERIES: Many don’t know that there’s a book before all the other books in the Throne of Glass series. The Assassins Blade starts off with the story of There are 8 books total, and you can purchase the full Kindle set here or the full paperback set here.
- CRESCENT CITY SERIES: More of a modern fantasy series, and I think I may like it more than Throne of Glass? But maybe not as much as ACOTAR. Undecided. They’re all really good. The third book in the Crescent City Series is now available for pre-order and will come out in January 2024.
adult fantasy books Like ACOTAR
- The Savage Lands Series by Stace Marie Brown – These are indie novels that I 100% love every single installment of. 10/10 will be re-reading them at some point!! (They’re also on Kindle Unlimited but I’m committed to buying the physical copies of these!)
- These Hollow Vows (Duology) by Lexi Ryan – These are marketed to a younger audience but I think some of the scenes are better for an adult audience.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Kingdom of the Wicked Series by Kerri Maniscalco
- The Atlas Six (Part 1 of the Atlas Duology) by Olivia Blake – I finished the first part of this duology, and it took me a bit to read it because it’s somewhat dense – but I really loved it in the end. (Part two of this series is out now as well! Get The Atlas Paradox here. )
- King of Battle & Blood (Adrian and Isolde series) by Scarlett St. Clair – This series is really good and unique for our fantasy romance era. Definitely worth a read! (Book 2: Queen of Myth and Monsters is also out now!)
- A Ruin of Roses by KF Breene – This one is dark and super smutty.
- Serpent & Dove (Part 1 of 3) by Shelby Mahurin
- A Fate of Wrath and Flame (Fate and Flame Series) by K A Tucker – Longer books, and loved the storyline.
- The Orchid Throne (Part 1 of 3 in the Forgotten Empire Series) by Jeffe Kennedy
- To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo – Mermaids
- The Raven and The Rush: The Book of All Things by Sarah M. Cradit
- Entreat Me by Grace Draven – This is the dark romantasy Beauty & The Beast retelling you didn’t know you needed!!
Jennifer Armentrout’s Bestselling Books
- From Blood and Ash (4 Part Series) by – LOVED these books!!
- A Shadow in the Ember (Flesh and Fire Series) by Jennifer Armentrout
Books like ACOTAR on Kindle Unlimited (aDULT)
All of these books are also available for purchase as hardbacks, but some are short so I just read them on Kindle Unlimited. If I feel like these deserved a hard copy purchase – I noted that as well!!
**Please make note that while these are available on Kindle Unlimited, at any time they may be removed and you’ll have to purchase a physical copy!
- The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller – Loved this standalone fantasy novel!
- Curse of Shadows and Thorns (The Broken Kingdoms Series) by LJ Andrews
- Mageborn by Jessica Thorne (Duology)
- The High Mountain Court (The Five Crowns of Okrinth Series) by AK Mulford – Loved this series so much that I think I’m going to order the physical copies!
- Rhapsodic (The Bargainer Series) by Laura Thalassa
- The Bridge Kingdom by Danielle L. Jensen
- A Deal with the Elf King – Elise Kova (There are more by Elise Kova below in the Young Adult section but this one specifically seems more of an adult book!)
- Ice Planet Barbarians (Book 1 of 22!!) by Ruby Dixon
- Compelled to be Fae (Sacrificed to the Fae King Series) by Lola Glass
- The Faceless Mage (Legends of Abreia Book 1) by Kenley Davidson
- Enchanting the Elven Mage (Kingdoms of Lore Book One) by Alisha Klapheke
- Prince Of The Dark Fae (Bound By Fate Book 1) by Lindsey Devin
- The Four Kingdoms Series by Whitney Dean – Just discovered this series in 2023 and I read the first book in a day!
- Stars and Shadows Series by Holly Renee – These are incredibly well written with a dark love interest and a developing second chance romance. Loved them and I’ve been devouring the books as soon as they come out!
Suzanne Wright Books
Feral Sins (The Pheonix Pack Series book 1 of 8) by Suzanne Wright – These are adult books only plain and simple!! Also – these are shifter romances and not necessarily fae or anything.
This series of books started me down a path of loving all things werewolf romance. I still concede that Jacob from Twilight deserved so much better… Check back soon for a full list of all my favorite shifter/werewolf romances!!!
Ella Fields Books
- A King So Cold (First in the Royals Duology) by Ella Fields – Another set I loved so much I’m going to order the physical copies!
- The Savage and The Swan by Ella Fields – She really is such a great author and I wanted to include this series on my list too! Both are incredibly binge-worthy fantasy romance reads.
Harper L. Woods Books
I discovered Harper L. Woods last year, and I’ve devoured EVERY. SINGLE. THING. Woods has written!
- What Lies Beyond The Veil by Harper L. Woods – Loved this book so much that I’m desperately waiting for the second book’s release date!!
The Coven of Bones Series
Probably one of my the best fantasy series I’ve read in a while is The Coven of Bones by Harper L. Woods. In less than 300 pages – I found myself devouring the story of a powerful young witch trying to do the right thing even when her family, friends, and greater powers are forcing her in another… shall we say Hellish direction?
The author wrote this as the dedication: ‘For all those who love them villainous.’… and I truly couldn’t think of a better way to describe the intended audience of Wood’s latest creation. It’s dark, it’s full of dubious moral situations, and magic system that had me fully entranced. I loved every second of this book. No part felt unnecessary? (Bravo to the editors as well!)
SOME THINGS I LOVED: Willow & Grey’s character development were done incredibly well. There are so many secrets, and deeper facets of their personalities revealed over the course of the story. Not to mention that many other characters had motivations revealed, which I was shocked by at the end of the story!
- Something that Woods also does well is leaving readers with a fantastic cliffhanger. I haven’t read a SINGLE one of Woods’s books – and not immediately craved the next book. There are just too many questions left unanswered! But in the best possible way? Even though her books aren’t as long as perhaps Maas’s books – I’ve found them to be the same level of entertaining!!
- I also felt that the world-building & magical system created was darkly sultry and unique. I think I’ll forever be drawn to witch/wizard storylines because of my love for Harry Potter at such a young age! (A series that I loved for its freshness was Deborah Harkness’s A Discovery of Witches four-part series. It’s got a very different storyline but with much of this same dark and sultry witchy energy. )
- TROPES: age gap romance, enemies to lovers, secret identities, forbidden love, dark secrets, revenge
Although this series is available on Kindle Unlimited, I’ve found that Harper L. Woods is one of those writers that delicately weaves her plots. Due to the more complex storylines, I enjoy her writing more when I have a physical copy! (Much the same way I think anyone who loved ACOTAR felt!)
- The Coven series is available on Kindle Unlimited & in both hardback and paperback editions.
- Preorder the next book, The Cursed, which comes out in August 2023 here!
Greek Mythology Retellings (Adult)
- Neon Gods by Katee Robert– There are a bunch in this series and others by Katee Roberts I’ve loved!!
- A Touch of Darkness – Almost anything by Scarlett St. Clair will be delicious (with actually decent writing as well!)
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- Pandora’s Jar: Women in the Greek Myths by Natalie Haynes
- Gild (The Plated Prisoner Series) by Raven Kennedy
- The Wolf Den by Elodie Harper – Not a retelling or fantasy BUT definitely works in this category because of the setting and storyline. It’s been widely anticipated by many!
This post took on a life of it’s own because it gre so large! So if you want more of the Young Adult vibe? in your reading, head over to a whole new blog post I created for all of my favorite young adult / new adult fantasy series & standalone reads!!
I hope you love whatever book you pick up next! Enjoy my bookish pals! – Southern.Lady.Reads